Top Dow Stocks Amid Market Rally
As the stock market continues to rally and recover from the steep losses of late last year, most of the stocks in the Dow Jones Industrial Index are doing quite well. Of course, some are doing better than others. But only two of the 30 Dow stocks are negative year to date (as of the market close on 2/22/2019) – Coca-Cola (KO) (see also Coca-Cola Stock Gets KO’d After Earnings) and Pfizer (PFE). In contrast, the top Dow stocks this year so far are making some hefty gains.
What’s the Dow?
The Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) is commonly referred to by the media and investors as simply “the Dow.” It’s long been the most widely followed and discussed stock index in the world, eclipsing both the S&P 500 and Nasdaq Composite in terms of popularity.
The Dow is made up of 30 of the largest, most prominent stocks traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and Nasdaq exchange. It’s a price weighted average instead of market capitalization weighted. When the media or investors talk about how “the market” is doing, they’re typically referring to the Dow (and sometimes the S&P 500).
Here are the 30 current Dow component companies:
- 3M Co – MMM
- American Express Co – AXP
- Apple Inc – AAPL
- Boeing Co – BA
- Caterpillar Inc – CAT
- Chevron Corp- CVX
- Cisco Systems Inc – CSCO
- Coca-Cola Co – KO
- DowDuPont Inc – DWDP
- Exxon Mobil Corp – XOM
- Goldman Sachs Group Inc – GS
- Home Depot Inc – HD
- Intel Corp – INTC
- International Business Machines Corp – IBM
- Johnson & Johnson – JNJ
- JPMorgan Chase & Co -JPM
- McDonald’s Corp – MCD
- Merck & Co Inc – MRK
- Microsoft Corp – MSFT
- Nike Inc – NKE
- Pfizer Inc – PFE
- Procter & Gamble Co – PG
- Travelers Companies Inc – TRV
- United Technologies Corp – UTX
- UnitedHealth Group Inc – UNH
- Verizon Communications Inc – VZ
- Visa Inc – V
- Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc – WBA
- Walmart Inc – WMT
- Walt Disney Co – DIS
Top Dow Stocks Year to Date
Here are the top Dow stocks amid the current market rally (each with current price and year-to-date performance):
- Boeing (BA) – Current Price (as of 2/22/2019 market close): $424.05 | Year-to-Date Performance (as of 2/22/2019 market close): +31.49%
- International Business Machines (IBM) – Current Price (as of 2/22/2019 market close): $139.25 | Year-to-Date Performance (as of 2/22/2019 market close): +22.50%
- United Technologies (UTX) – Current Price (as of 2/22/2019 market close): $127.77 | Year-to-Date Performance (as of 2/22/2019 market close): +19.99%
- Goldman Sachs (GS) – Current Price (as of 2/22/2019 market close): $196.00 | Year-to-Date Performance (as of 2/22/2019 market close): +17.33%
- Cisco Systems (CSCO) – Current Price (as of 2/22/2019 market close): $50.11 | Year-to-Date Performance (as of 2/22/2019 market close): +15.65%
Of course, where these stocks go from here will depend in large part on how the stock market overall performs going forward. We’ve seen a massive market rebound and recovery from the late December lows. But this recovery may have been a little too fast and steep. With markets still focusing on global economic growth and U.S.-China trade talks, significant risks still loom on the horizon. But these top Dow stocks remain among the most solid individual stock choices out there, as they continue to exhibit strong and consistent performance.
IMPORTANT: The information above should not be construed as investment advice and should not be considered as a solicitation to buy or sell securities. Past performance is not indicative of future results. Trading and investing in the financial markets involves substantial risk of loss, and may not be suitable for all investors.
Disclosure: At the time of this article’s publication, we have no position in any security or trade/investment mentioned, nor do we have any business relationship with any company whose stock may be mentioned.
Senior Technical Analyst at The Technicals
As a momentum stock trader, Luke focuses mostly on strong market moves. Luke has been trading the markets since the early 2000s, but still gets excited by big movers. Whether a surging large-cap tech company or meteoric penny stock, Luke tracks and trades winners. A technical analysis purist, Luke authors many of our Top Stocks & ETFs reports. Contact Luke